Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Born for a Purpose

 

VILLA ALESSA - DEEP WELL WATER SUPPLY
December 19, 2019


"He will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah 
to turn the hearts of fathers toward children 
and the disobedient to the understanding of the righteous, 
to prepare a people fit for the Lord.” 
LUKE 1:17


Everyone is born for a purpose, and that purpose is ultimately related to God, who created us and loves us. God has a plan and a purpose for each person, and that He works all things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). Each of us has a unique role and contribution to make in this world, and that we can discover and fulfill our purpose by following our passions, talents, and values. You can find inspiration and guidance from other people who have lived purposeful lives, such as biblical characters, historical figures, or role models.

Angel Gabriel’s announced to Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist, about the role and mission of his son. John the Baptist was the prophet who prepared the way for Jesus, the Messiah, by preaching repentance and baptism. John the Baptist has a similar ministry and character as Elijah, the Old Testament prophet who performed miracles and confronted the idolatry of his time. "To prepare a people fit for the Lord”, John the Baptist would help people to recognize their sinfulness and their need for God’s forgiveness and grace, which would be fulfilled in Jesus.

In the days of Herod, King of Judea, there was a priest named Zechariah of the priestly division of Abijah; his wife was from the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth. Both were righteous in the eyes of God, observing all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blamelessly. But they had no child, because Elizabeth was barren and both were advanced in years. Once when he was serving as priest in his division’s turn before God, according to the practice of the priestly service, he was chosen by lot to enter the sanctuary of the Lord to burn incense. Then, when the whole assembly of the people was praying outside at the hour of the incense offering, the angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right of the altar of incense. Zechariah was troubled by what he saw, and fear came upon him. But the angel said to him, “Do not be afraid, Zechariah, because your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall name him John. And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth, for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He will drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from his mother’s womb, and he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God. He will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah to turn the hearts of fathers toward children and the disobedient to the understanding of the righteous, to prepare a people fit for the Lord.” Then Zechariah said to the angel, “How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is advanced in years.” And the angel said to him in reply, “I am Gabriel, who stand before God. I was sent to speak to you and to announce to you this good news. But now you will be speechless and unable to talk until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled at their proper time.” Meanwhile the people were waiting for Zechariah and were amazed that he stayed so long in the sanctuary. But when he came out, he was unable to speak to them, and they realized that he had seen a vision in the sanctuary. He was gesturing to them but remained mute. Then, when his days of ministry were completed, he went home. After this time his wife Elizabeth conceived, and she went into seclusion for five months, saying, “So has the Lord done for me at a time when he has seen fit to take away my disgrace before others.” (Luke 1:5-25)

To be consecrated to God means to be set apart for His service, to be devoted to His purpose, and to be sanctified by His grace. It is a way of living that honors and glorifies God in everything we do. A life dedicated to obeying God’s will and fulfilling His plan. As the Lord said, "You shall consecrate yourselves therefore and be holy, for I am the Lord your God. You shall keep My statutes and practice them; I am the Lord who sanctifies you" (Leviticus 20:7-8). Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect (Romans 12:1-2:).

There was a certain man from Zorah, of the clan of the Danites, whose name was Manoah. His wife was barren and had borne no children. An angel of the Lord appeared to the woman and said to her, “Though you are barren and have had no children, yet you will conceive and bear a son. Now, then, be careful to take no wine or strong drink and to eat nothing unclean. As for the son you will conceive and bear, no razor shall touch his head, for this boy is to be consecrated to God from the womb. It is he who will begin the deliverance of Israel from the power of the Philistines.” The woman went and told her husband, “A man of God came to me; he had the appearance of an angel of God, terrible indeed. I did not ask him where he came from, nor did he tell me his name. But he said to me, ‘You will be with child and will bear a son. So take neither wine nor strong drink, and eat nothing unclean. For the boy shall be consecrated to God from the womb, until the day of his death.’” The woman bore a son and named him Samson. The boy grew up and the Lord blessed him; the Spirit of the Lord first stirred. (Judges 13:2-7, 24-25)

God formed each person in His image and likeness, and that He has a purpose and a plan for every life (Genesis 1:26-27) (Jeremiah 29:11). God formed you with love and care, and He knows everything about you, even the number of hairs on your head (Psalm 139:13-16) (Matthew 10:30).

Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to give me safety; for you are my rock and my fortress. O my God, rescue me from the hand of the wicked. For you are my hope, O Lord; my trust, O God, from my youth. On you I depend from birth; from my mother’s womb you are my strength. I will treat of the mighty works of the Lord; O God, I will tell of your singular justice. O God, you have taught me from my youth, and till the present I proclaim your wondrous deeds. (Psalm 71:3-4, 5-6, 16-17)

God Formed Me. He gave me His breath of life, made me a living soul, and filled me with His light. God formed me with His hands, He shaped me with His skill, molded me with His wisdom, and fashioned me with His will. God formed me with His love, He cherished me with His heart, blessed me with His grace, He set me apart. God formed me with His care, He watched me with His eyes, guided me with His voice, and protected me with His might.

Lord, You have  a plan for my life. I believe that I was born for a purpose, not by chance or fate, but by Your own design and grace. You have a role for me to play. I was born not to wander or waste but to grow and serve. You have a promise for me to claim. I was born not to fear or doubt but to trust and obey. You have a glory for me to reflect. I was born not to live for myself
But to live for You.

I am consecrated to You O God. You have set me apart for Your glory, called me by Your grace and has chosen me for Your story. You have cleansed me by Your blood, renewed me by Your Spirit, and transformed me by Your Word. Thank You so much for empowering me with Your strength and entrusting me with Your mission.

Help me to always be fit for You O Lord not just in body, but in soul and spirit, to love You with all my heart and follow Your perfect will. To know You with all my understanding and worship You in truth, not just in words, but in deeds. To serve You with all my strength and glorify You in all I do. May I always live with You in Your presence and enjoy You forevermore. Amen.





Pericope:

II: The Infancy Narrative
ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE BIRTH OF JOHN
Luke 1:5-25

II: Stories of the Judges
THE BIRTH OF SAMSON
Judges 13:1-25

Second Book of Psalms 42-72
PRAYER IN TIME OF OLD AGE
Psalm 71:1-24


Reflection Source:

Copilot with Bing Chat